Friday, January 1, 2010

Auspicious Beginning


2010. Good grief how did that happen?


This amaryllis was a bare bulb, purchased at Canadian Tire, and planted in nothing but gravel on November 25 as we were dashing out the door for our week in Halifax. Look at it now; it stands 27 inches high and chose today, January 1, 2010 to begin to unfurl. That’s what should be known as a miracle.

I often wonder how it is that I have lived such a fortunate life, through no fault of my own. About 15 years ago our dear friend Rob Tweedie, formerly of South Africa, surprised me by positing that only 1% of the world’s population lives as well as we all expect to. I hadn’t thought of it before but have many times since. I suspect that the percentage of people who are as fortunate as Jim and I have been is much lower than 1%. We have warm and generous friends and family; we live in freedom; we are intelligent (most of the time!), educated, and curious; we are healthy and active; we aren’t burdened with too much wealth but have enough to enjoy ourselves. Our list of blessings is endless. I sometimes try to see myself living in another culture or a different era which sets me wondering again why I am so lucky to be where and when I am.

Our best wishes for this new year and always. J&J




On a different note entirely, having been to South Africa recently, we went to see the movie Invictus. Yes, it’s a lot about rugby, but it is also inspirational at many levels and an interesting insight into the simple ‘ties that bind’. We loved it.

1 comment:

Sally said...

Lovely pictures and lovely thoughts with which I too can relate. We almost called to sing "Auld Lang Syne" to you last night. However, the very late hour and our partying fatigue sent us to bed instead. We did drink earlier to absent friends with a "cup of kindness" and thought of you both. XXX