Sunday, February 19, 2017

2017, Day 1 Trip 1

Last October, 2016, on the ferry between Comox and Powell River, in the teensy gift shop, I was looking at beautiful double walled, Native themed water bottles. I didn't buy one then but have looked several times in several places and been a bit stymied by the choices.  Today, on the ferry heading south, I committed to a style after watching a young woman fill hers in the cafeteria. There was still the colour and design dilemma but I opted for turquoise because everyone would know it is mine and it had an orca design which I love.


I was tempted by a purple heron though! So I'm back in my seat doing the crossword puzzle and glance up to see the brand new, barely out of the box, Salish Orca ferry doing sea trials. The art work on the ferry is orcas on a turquoise background and, wait for it: the ferry is taking over the route from Comox to Powell River!
The coincidence is not quite over. I went looking for a crew member to confirm what I was looking at, and the only one visible was the cashier in the cafeteria. Yes, it was the Salish Orca and this morning when they were doing "man overboard drills", this guy was in the lifeboat about a spit from the Orca and got some fabulous photos which he was very happy to show me. How fun was that for both of us!
Later, back on the road and now off it again, we stopped at Chateau Ste. Michelle in Woodinville WA for a tasting and just because it is such a nice place. It was busy busy but the people who work there go out of their way to make it seem as if you are the only person in their world. A great reminder of positive attitudes.


We are planning a very laid-back pace for this trip in part because the weather forecast is iffy and we have built in time to stop if it gets too miserable.

1 comment:

Derek Gayle said...

travel safely and have a great time.....starting great with a tasting!