Wednesday, July 21, 2010

How does my garden grow?

Even if you are mega gardeners, (Nancy, Alan, Miriam) you have to suffer through my minor success story, or skip this post. You might recall that back in March, the 21st actually, I wrote about my new garden venture. Here it is July 21 already, we had a crummy June and in true Victoria fashion it now hasn't rained for at least 3 weeks. In spite of me paying virtually no attention to the veggie garden, not to mention the flowering ones, it is producing stuff. It's too hot for the kale now although it is still trying, but we are having beets and beet greens tonight!
Not many, but beets nevertheless.
It also looks as though we may get some yellow zuchinni eventually (look really hard at the photo and you can see a tiny zuch buried in the shadows), the tomatoes are looking promising ( I seem to have been on a yellow theme when I planted seeds.We have yellow zuch, yellow toms, and yellow beans. March must have been a dark month) and we even have a few stawberries. The red leaf lettuce is the biggest I've ever seen but our beans seems to have been on the rabbits' list of comestibles so not much happening there. What I've learned: plant later, use good soil, stay small, and that the copper anti-slug strip really works.
Other than that ignoring the garden seems to work pretty well.

1 comment:

Miriam said...

I may be a "mega" gardener, as you call me, but I can tell you my ratio of successes to failures is way down compared to last year. Your strawberries and squash and greens look wonderful - and those tomatoes! Yum!